Rui Yao, PhD, CFP®
Professor, Director of Graduate Studies
239A Stanley Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
PhD, CFP®, The Ohio State University.
Rui Yao, PhD, CFP®, is a Professor of Personal Financial Planning and Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Personal Financial Planning at the University of Missouri. She received her doctoral degree from The Ohio State University. Her research interests focus on individual and household financial decision-making and well-being. Specific topics include retirement preparation, saving and investment behavior and motives, risk tolerance, debt management, and consumption patterns. She received the best paper award from the CFP Board, AARP, American Council on Consumer Interests, and American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences. Dr. Yao serves on the editorial board and as a reviewer for a number of academic journals and conferences. She has been committed to working with the China Center for Financial Research in Tsinghua University of China and is a member of the research team on their first national survey of Chinese Consumer Finance and Investor Education.
- Loren Dilsaver HES Research Scholar, (2017-2019)
- Best Paper in Personal Finance and Consumer Economics Award. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, (2017)
- Election to American Council on Consumer Interests Board of Directors, (2016).
- Mid-career Award, American Council on Consumer Interests, (2016).
- AARP Financial Services Award and Older Consumer Award for research paper "Determinants of defined contribution plan referral." American Council for Consumer Interests Conference, (2013).
- Outstanding Paper Award. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, (2013).
- Best Paper in Personal Finance and Consumer Economics Award. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, (2013).