News & Events at PFP
PFP Career Fair
Posted: Jul. 14, 2014
The Personal Financial Planning Department will hold an Interview Session on Wednesday, October 22nd from 8am-5pm at the Stotler Lounge (Memorial Union) on the University of Missouri campus. This event is different than your traditional career fair as it is not a meet and greet event where students walk around to various tables. At this event students sign up in order to schedule an appointment time with prospective comapanies to either interview for current employment opportunities, or ask questions to learn more about the organization, or to have a mock interview conducted.
PFP Career Fair
Stotler Lounge, Memorial Union
University of Missouri-Columbia
Cost of Event: $125 for employers (this includes parking passes and lunch for up to 2 representatives from per company). Please add an additional $25 for each additional representative.
Students sign up for 1 of 3 options during the Interview Session:
- Current Positions - Students are interviewed for current positions available within a prospective organization,
- Intro to Careers (FINPLN 2083) - Students interview prospective employers to learn more about the organization and fulfill a requirement for their Intro to Careers class which is FINPLN 2083
- Mock Interview/Resume Advise – Students conduct a mock interview for practice and to obtain feedback on their resume
Students will bring their resumes with them to their interviews.
- 8am-9am – Employers speak to the Intro to Careers (FINPLN 2083) class – Panel Discussion (no need to prepare a presentation)
- 9am-12pm – Interview Sessions
- 12pm-1pm – Lunch
- 1pm-4pm – Interview Sessions
- 4pm-5pm – Happy Hour with PFP Students
Personal Finance Symposium VI Presentations
Posted: May 7, 2014
If you missed the 2014 Personal Finance Symposium VI: Help, I Need Somebody, you can watch the presentations and download the presentation materials on our website.
Become a Friend for Financial Success
Posted: July 13, 2011
The Office for Financial Success has been given an opportunity to make a greater impact on our students and community by moving to an expanded and more prominent location in Stanley Hall. Renovations will provide a contemporary, effective learning environment for students and create additional offices for faculty. The cost will be upwards of $200,000. This tremendous opportunity must be pursued and we have until September 1, 2011 to raise the necessary funds. We cannot do this alone and we must turn to our alumni, friends, and industry for support.
I, respectfully, ask you to consider becoming a Friend for Financial Success by making a gift of $25,000 through an outright gift or pledge to the OFS Renovation Project. To demonstrate my faith in the efficacy of this project through a personal commitment, I will match 2.5% of all donations, up to $5,000, from my personal funds. We have until September 1.
- Robert O. Weagley, PhD, CFP®
Friends for Financial Success benefit from:
- Increased visibility with students, faculty, alumni, and citizens from having the corporate name listed on the OFS website with link to corporation’s home page, as well as on the OFS donor wall
- OFS’s link with the Missouri personal finance teachers and Outreach and Extension staff to extend the name statewide, broadening the scope of the public reached
- Involvement in executive-in-residence programs, career panels, advisory boards, and placement activities
- The latest information about students, faculty, programs, and facilities
- Access to valuable research expertise and findings
For more information on giving to this unique opportunity, please contact:
HES Office of Advancement
122 Gwynn Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
The Financial Planning Student Association
Posted: Jan. 27, 2011
Meeting weekly and led by seniors majoring in Personal Financial Planning, our Financial Planning Student Association (FPSA) offers students an opportunity to develop leadership skills and to make professional contacts. Leaders in the financial planning profession come to speak to students to share their insights and experiences with the next generation of financial professionals. Students participating in FPSA begin to build their professional network, taking field trips to financial service businesses and professional meetings. In the past few years, students have planned and carried-out field trips to various large financial service marketplaces including:
- Kansas City - American Century and Waddell & Reed
- St. Louis -Wells Fargo Advisors, Edward Jones, Scottrade, Stifel - Nicholaus, Buckingham Advisors, and Smith-Moore and Company.
- Chicago - Mercantile Exchange, Morgan Stanley, Ariel Mutual Funds
- New York - Deutsche Bank, New York Stock Exchange, American stock Exchange, Merrill Lynch
Our students are often asked to help at the national Financial Planners' Association (FPA) annual conference. Students attending this event have the opportunity to meet leading financial planners from across the globe as well as to work alongside students from other financial planning programs across the country.