Rui Yao, PhD, CFP®
Associate Professor, Director of Graduate Studies
239B Stanley Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
PhD, CFP®, The Ohio State University.
Rui Yao, PhD, CFP®, is an associate professor in the Personal Financial Planning Department at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Dr. Yao received her doctoral degree from The Ohio State University. Her research interests include financial risk tolerance, retirement preparation, saving behavior and motives, debt management, and household consumption patterns. She received the best paper award from the CFP Board and AARP. Her research is published in leading journals in the field. Dr. Yao serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Personal Finance and the Journal of Asian Families and as a reviewer for a number of academic journals and conferences. She has been committed to working with the China Center for Financial Research in Tsinghua University of China and is a member of the research team on their first national survey of Chinese Consumer Finance and Investor Education.
- Loren Dilsaver HES Research Scholar, (2017-2019)
- Best Paper in Personal Finance and Consumer Economics Award. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, (2017)
- Election to American Council on Consumer Interests Board of Directors, (2016).
- Mid-career Award, American Council on Consumer Interests, (2016).
- AARP Financial Services Award and Older Consumer Award for research paper "Determinants of defined contribution plan referral." American Council for Consumer Interests Conference, (2013).
- Outstanding Paper Award. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, (2013).
- Best Paper in Personal Finance and Consumer Economics Award. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, (2013).
- Honorable Mention Award (Faculty Category) at the HES Week Poster Session in the College of Human Environmental Sciences at University of Missouri. Decomposing the Age Effect on Risk Tolerance, (2010).